The fundamental characteristics of the sport involve the following:
- Handling the baton with maneuvers to create visual images, pictures and patterns, executed with intricacy, dexterity, smoothness, fluidity, and speed, both close in and around the body and by releasing the baton into the air
- Throwing the baton with velocity and revolution to propel the apparatus into the air while spinning, leaping and jumping across the floor to arrive at the precise point and time to catch it
- Utilizing fine motor skills and precise timing to execute the strategic placement of the baton in a scrolling, continuous rolling motion around the neck, shoulders and arms without using the hands to guide or control its path, all in synchronization with the movement of the body
- Expressing artistry and emotion of the body through movement that creates a demonstration of strength, flexibility, physical fitness, beauty, aesthetics, and harmony in coordination with the manipulation of the baton
- The blend of baton and body together create elements of risk, physical stamina, agility and excitement all set to music, utilizing time and space to display both technical merit and artistic expression in creating a total package for the viewer’s eye
Baton twirling is an entertaining and exciting sport to watch. The intricate timing and precision required to perform these feats is difficult and requires complete concentration and coordination. It demands top physical conditioning. Routines for competitive sport baton twirling are designed for athletes of novice through elite stages of development, experience and ability. Individual competitive events utilize one-baton, two-baton, or three-baton to standardized music while group competitive events are performed with members twirling together with precision and unison. Professionally trained and certified judges adjudicate the competitions.
Whether a child becomes involved in parade groups, community lessons, park and recreation programs, or competitions, he or she will be afforded the opportunity to learn and gain structured motor skills and balance training; eye/hand coordination; rhythm and timing skills; endurance, strength, agility and flexibility training; showmanship, poise, confidence, self-esteem, mental discipline, and physical fitness.
ANALYSIS OF THE SPORT
IT IS PHYSICAL – Baton Twirling requires fantastic coordination of fingers, hands, arms, feet and legs; in addition to extraordinary control of the back, stomach and torso, all of which are called to respond instantly to the sound the ear hears and the sight the eye sees. It requires endurance, agility, strength, and balance.
IT IS PSYCHOLOGICAL – Baton Twirling allows athletes to learn more about confidence and fear, self-esteem and self-image; it gives the chance to realize that attitude is what makes or breaks the competitive spirit, not anyone or anything else. It is a type of mind set with an increased awareness, which challenges an athlete to realize the potential she/he may possess. It requires self-discipline.
IT IS EMOTIONAL – Baton Twirling provides guided social interaction with other athletes. It offers the opportunity to participate and have fun in a healthy, wholesome activity and to develop lasting friendships. It provides the chance to recognize excellence and beauty, to be sensitive, to develop good character, and to have great youthful memories that last a lifetime.
IT IS A SCIENCE – Baton Twirling requires exactness and demands precise execution. The baton is always pushing the laws of physics with force and speed, action and reaction, velocity and relativity.
IT IS AN ARTISTIC SPORT – Baton Twirling requires the courage of a hockey player (without the padding), the concentration of a sprinter, the quick reactions of a boxer, and the stage presence and grace of a figure skater.
IT IS EDUCATIONAL – Baton Twirling allows our youth to learn how to take all of these elements, some dry and technically tiresome, some difficult and challenging, and create emotion, feeling, passion, develop a good work ethic, understand their own inner strengths and weaknesses, learn how to work with others and find a reason to stay focused on a quality life.